"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way." ~Dr. Suess

Monday, January 19, 2009

A Word on Words

Those of you who know me personally may have noticed that me vocabulary is not limited to the English language, or even any written language. I use "my words" (Words that I've simply made up, or interesting phrases that I've heard elsewhere) all the time. I'll also use actually words that you can find in the English dictionary, but that no one seems to know. To name but a few, there are:

-Awesomeness
-Awesomerest
-Ridiculousness (I use that one a whole darned lot)
-Skadoosh
-Flubberbuckets (A term I commonly use when referring to the makers of the "Eragon" film. What were they THINKING?!?!)
-Dandiful (Meaning "full of dandyness- I use it quite a bit)

Actual words that can be found in the dictionary (again, here's just a sampling):
-Collywobbles (Means, can you guess, a stomach ache!!! It's hilarious to see peoples faces when you go up to them and say something to the effect of:" I've got the collywobbles")
-Collimate (To make parallel- I don't use this one so much since there really aren't a lot of opportunities to employ it)
- Shillyshally (An extremely indecisive person-- so me!! My friends and I use this one quite a bit...)
-Fard (Ha HA!!! This is a favorite of my family!!!! Can you guess what it means?? I'll put the answer on the comment board!)
-Dandy. I really don't know how I got started on this one, but I use it on a daily basis
Phrases...

-Grand idear. Man, I mean the looks people give you when you say this!! "Did you just say "idear?" "Yes, i-d-e-a-r, ideeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaarr."
-For the love of cheese pizza!! 'Nuff said.
-Oh my crunchy goodness!!
Aaaannnddd.... I know there's a bunch of other ones, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Oh, here's two other real words: Fantstical & fantasticalnes. I have used these quite often, thinking they were "my words". I put them on an email or something awhile ago, and then spell checked it, thinking that they would be highlighted as an improper word, but they weren't!! So I looked it up in the dictionary, and sure darned enough, there they were!! "Fantastical" & "fantasticalness". Quite the interestingness.

Oh, and just so that we're all aware, "skadoosh" and "awesomeness" were my words long before Kung Fu Panda ever came out!!!! Actually, I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda, but I had been using those words around some one who had seen it, and they said something to the effect of, "Hey, did you pick that up from Kung Fu Panda?" "NO!!!!!" "Oh...well they use those words in them..." Sheesh people!!! What in the heck is up with this?!?! I've got to start copyrighting these or something...

2 comments:

miss whimsy said...

Alrighty, for those of you who were interested enough to look, "Fard" means- oh, pleeeeease guess!!!- to PUT ON MAKE UP!!! AHH!!! Visualize: You're driving down the highway, 70 miles per hour, you look over at the driver next to you... she's eating a big ol' burrito, and SHE'S FARDING!!! Haha, this doesn't have quite the same effect reading it as it does saying it aloud, so you'll just have to work with it. The lady mentioned above gets pulled over for speeding. "Sorry officer!! I was farding and I lost control!!" My family went on for hours coming up with scenerios like this for the word!! It was hilarious!!

Anonymous said...

that's hilarious!!! how did you come up with skadoosh all by yourself? you have one fantastical mind tweesa (hehe) and i agree a thousand times about the movie that those ridiculous people dared to call "eragon". ugh. ugh. UGH!!!! just thinking about it makes me so MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!