What started me on the topic at hand was a text that was received. To quote:
OMG! LOL!! idk, u r hiliros o i g2g ttyl!
So should we be proud that we can understand this... or worried? It's not that I'm anti- text lingo, but sometimes it just seems a little extreme, as in the formerly mentioned case.
I understand the need for a quick, "lol" or "brb" in some instances (I mean, I use them on a regular basis), but if you're going to take the time to text... it doesn't take that much longer to spell a word out, does it?
Then I started thinking about abbreviations in general. Why do we even have some of them? They often drive me insane! Especially abbreviations for state names- all the ones that start with "M" I almost always get confused as to which one is which! "MI" "MO"MA" etc.
One particular abbreviation boggles my mind; it's shorter to write, but the abbreviation takes longer to say than what it is abbreviating! : WWW. Count the syllables- it's longer than what it stands for (World Wide Web).
Goodness I'm tired! *yawn* To end, I wish to quote the amazing "Calvin & Hobbes" (Bill Waterson) (Seriously, you can find a quote to apply to ANYTHING from Calvin & Hobbes!! The man is a genius!)

Yes, Hobbes, I believe you prove my point.
Alright alright, I can't resist; whilst I am rambling about the English language... I found a new word! Snollygoster: A shrewd but unprincipled person. BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!
O.K., I'm really going now. No, wait, I'm not! "O.K." just made me think of the history of "O.K." (yet another interesting abbreviation) Do any of you know what it stands for? It stands for... "All Correct" except in this case you spell it "Oll Korekt"! See, in a previous century, people thought it was funny to misspell words and abbreviate them. "O.K." made it's first appearance in a newspaper... and it stuck!
I'm really going now. Cheerio!


3 comments:
We could just say "wuh-wuh-wuh." :P
Snollygoster = awesome word.
That was quite interesting. I also think text speak is overdone sometimes, although I do use it. lol is just so handy! As a matter of fact, I just got an idea for a poll concerning that...be sure to go to my blog and vote!
I've always wondered about "OK"!! Now my life is moor komplete. XD
Yes! I totally agree! And then, when people take notes, I figure that they'll have to de-code the notes. Wow. I really don't understand it all. And as for that thing about O.K., that's just really cool.
Post a Comment