"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way." ~Dr. Suess

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Prince Caspian... Part two!

Hm, I suppose it's about time to post this, as it's been a bit since part one came out... so here it is!


Prince Caspian: A movie Review; Part Two


*BEWARE of spoilers*

Something I really enjoyed about the movie was the character of Edmund; I was grinning every time he came onto the screen! They made him funny in a way that kept him real! I was glad that they showed him more "grown up" than the last movie. He was a definitely pro on the list of pros and con's in the movie!

And now, one of the larger conflicts I had with the movie (and one that I know most of you have been waiting for me to mention): the Susan/ Caspian situation. It is said by many that it was more natural to have it than not to; and I agree, for the most part. They are close in age; she's a pretty girl; he's a good lookin' guy; they're both teens, and whatever else. It was cute-ish in the beginning, but I don't believe that it needed to amount to the kiss. It was quite unnecessary if you ask me. A warm hug would have been quite enough, in my opinion, to convey ant feeling they had.

Though, do note that I think it was fine & in character to have Susan flirting with Caspian; I just don't think it needed to be mutual. Because, before you start arguing, this ruins a concept that I very much enjoy in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader,": The once-in-a-life-time, true-as-can-be, no-doubt-about-it, love-at-first-sight between Ramandu's daughter & Caspian. This is one of my favorite parts of the whole book.

To be fair, it can be looked at this way: Susan and Caspian didn't kiss. Susan kissed Caspian. Then, Caspian pushed her away slightly and hugged her. But still, I don't believe that it was necessary to Narnia. (I mean they hardly even talked in the book

Wow, this is much longer than I intended. Anyway, onto another subject; the biggest of all, in my mind: Aslan. I believe they down-played much of his... I don't know the word for it, but it's what makes him Aslan. For instance, when Lucy asks Aslan what would have happened if she had done otherwise than she did, in the movie, Aslan says something along the very-similar-lines of, "No, child, we are never told that," *(Which, I noted, is often how adults talk to younger children, as in "Let's go get our jammies on!" when you just mean that it's time to get into there PJ's ). Instead of implying that he did know what would have happened, and it wasn't her place to know. In the book, it's much more like, "What would have happened child? No, no one is ever told that." He's not saying that he doesn't know (because he does); just that he's not going to tell her. And overall, as I said, he just wasn't as majestic and all-knowing as he should have been. It seemed to me that he just didn't have as big a part as he should have had... I'm just rambling now, please excuse me.

Overall, the whole theme of forgiveness and redemption was downplayed, if you think about it. If I start going on about this I'm afraid that I shall go on in paragraphs again, so I shan't say more on this subject, but leave you to ponder thus.

And so I shall close. As a movie, nothing more, it was fine. As Narnia, however, it leaves a lot to be desired.

*Side note* And I must say that I'm very glad that Andrew Adamson will not be directing "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"!!! Michael Apted will be directing this one. I've seen one of his films (Amazing Grace; a must watch!!!!!) and I am quite satisfied with his work. =D Though I was upset that, in addition to a new director, a new composer is being added to the crew! I'm sure he'll do fine, but I really like Harry Gregson-Williams' work. Except, in PC, it was rather repetitive of the first movie; there wasn't much "new" stuff. Here I go again... I'll leave you in peace to not listen to my ramblings!


*Another side-note* There was much else in the movie I didn't care for, and much else that I liked. But I am sparing you! (For now... I may post another review later when I've calmed down...)

No comments: