"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way." ~Dr. Suess

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dear Highschool: Get a life. Or at least give me mine back. Please?

Guess who's baaaaaaack? Yep, you couldn't get rid of me that easily. Where have I been, you may ask? It's at moment like this when I seriously wish I had some epic and mind blowing tale to share. But as it is, High School has been my only captor. Pathetic? Yes. But true nonetheless. I seriously think someone should have given a warning before freshman year, or a handout with something like:

Welcome to High School! Read the following, and consider carefully:

[] Decent grades
[] Adequate sleep
[] Social life

Please choose two.

Even something as subtle as that would have been appreciated! But NO, they just thrust you, unsuspectingly, into a battle of monster essays and mind-numbing social politics. (Before someone sarcastically points this out- Yes, I am home schooled. Yes, I deal with both of the things I mentioned- why would I write about them otherwise?? I do, in fact, have a life.) Why is necessary to know geometry?? I have yet to figure out how it will EVER apply to life. Same for diagramming approximately 42789512347890654290872 sentences in the allotted hour devoted to said torture. When will this apply? To see if the label on my peanut butter jar uses proper sentence structure? ...do I care??? The answer, dear friends, is NAY. Despite this reasonable argument, I am told that these "life skills" will somehow prove useful in life.

Upside to school? Uh.........uh...........uh... hold on, I'm sure there's one somewhere..... just kidding, I know it's only twelve years of straight torture! Just kidding. But seriously. Hm.

I DO, however, enjoy the fact that certain activities which, for reasons unexplained, went into hibernation for the summer, have resurfaced to endow me with happiness. For instance; choir, theatreish-related-things, friends coming back from vacation (it seems more like they're coming back from the dead), sports, etc. Not that I actually do sports. It's just that it's THERE. And I can watch as my friends overrun some helpless and clueless opponent. And laugh. Well, maybe not laugh. *cough* I mean, of course I don't laugh. I'm not cruel.... O:) (And I would like to point out, yet again, for clarification's sake, the fact that I do not play sports is due to personal choice- not the fact that I am home schooled. The coordination issues, along with some meager amount of human respect which God has seen fit to give me, prevent me from taking part in these maiming marathons people call "sports." My [home schooled] little brother, however, has been taking part in pretty much every sport imaginable. And WHO is the awesome sister who gets up at excruciating hours of an otherwise perfectly good SATURDAY morning to watch him play? Me. Oh yeah. You're good. But let me say.... whoever decided to schedule a soccer game for seven in the morning ON A SATURDAY should seriously consider a psychologist. I honestly didn't know that hour even existed on Saturdays. )

Anyway... that's all for now. Because I am hungry. But my hunger is depressing. Why? BECAUSE I CAN'T HAVE DAIRY. Excuse me, doctor?? Did I hear right? Certainly not, because dairy happens to be my main food group. Surely, you could not expect me to live without my lifeblood?? Ugh. I mean, I guess if I'm allergic, which he thinks I am, it's probably wisest to avoid said goodness... but STILL. Do you know how hard it is to find something decent (specifically, and dearest to my heart: JUNK FOOD) that doesn't contain some form of dairy? I watch in agony as my friends eat a succulent piece of hot, greasy pizza in front of my face. I brought pretzel-m&ms with me to something or other, checked the ingredient list, and realized, hm, these are not lactard proof (Lactard: lactosely-retarded. This is what my family fondly calls those of us who are lactose-intolerant. It is not meant as a term of offense, I PROMISE, so please don't take any offense by the term). Pitiful. I dispersed the m&ms among my friends, who ate them in front of me, yet again. Did I mention painful? BWaaaaaaaaaaah!! OH dear, this might not be easy. But really, it's not so bad... just no cheese.... no ice cream... no chocolate... no happiness. Actually, that is not entirely true. God was merciful, and I can (and DO) still eat peanut butter- by the spoonful. Heck to the yes. Anyway, I'm really going now! More to come... hopefully, I'm back for awhile this time.

3 comments:

Maria said...

Diagramming? I totally agree! WHAT is that gonna do for us? When are we going to put sentences on little lines? It's crazy!

Also, it IS possible to get dairy-free chocolate and ice-cream. The chocolate does not taste as good, but it's still chocolate. And the ice-cream? Pretty much the same taste :) Hang in there!

Glad you're blogging again :)Highschool is, yes, timeconsuming. Far too much. The warning should have been there. It should be required.

miss whimsy said...

Maria: Um, guess what. Your comment just made my day! BAhaha! I am so happy to havea like minded reader! XD

For real?? That gives me hope. Time to hunt out the grocery stores...

Maria said...

Glad I could help :) And the post put into words just what I've been thinking about highschool, I just couldn't figure out how to say it :)
Yes, dairy free chocolate and ice-cream are out there. It takes some looking, but it's out there. Good luck!